20080317

The resurgence of COBOL

According to a 1997 survey by the Gartner Group, 80% of the world’s business runs on COBOL, with an estimated 200 billion lines of code in existence and an estimated five billion lines of new code annually.

Because there is a massive installed base, the expense to replace the code would be prohibitive. So, many companies are looking for ways to integrate COBOL with newer applications.

In addition, the average COBOL developer is generally nearing retirement age. In 2004, Gartner made an effort to count COBOL programmers. They estimated then that there were about two million of them worldwide and that the number was declining at 5% annually.

From ComputerWorld:

We surveyed Cobol programmers and companies involved in the Cobol field and determined that the market these days supports two types of careers:

  • An emerging role in which the programmer serves as a bridge between Cobol code and new applications. Such jobs require people who understand Cobol, the business rules and processes on which old Cobol programs are based, and more modern languages such as Java.
  • A more traditional programming path, in which the employee maintains and fixes old Cobol code in addition to writing new code, also still in Cobol.
FULL ARTICLE
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=2068

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

I think 1997 was a long long time ago (and things have changed a lot since) Below got from: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Cobol-1443/f_3628806.htm

A recent Graduate writes on 2007-08-13 12:16:25
Hi,

I am a fairly recent graduate, and guess what I got my first job as a COBOL developer. I have been a COBOL developer for three years since graduating. I can truly say I wish I stayed away from COBOL and so should all you recent graduates.

It really doesn’t matter whether or not there are 70 billion lines of COBOL and all that other stuff; if you can’t get a job in this area (trust me I’ve been looking). All you have to do is type COBOL in a job search (and there we have it – the last time I got 100 hits) – “COBOL IS DEAD” if you want to get a job. When you narrow down your search to say London and you only get about 12 hits – so if you want to work as a software developer stay away from COBOL.

It really doesn’t matter if some developer says “COBOL is not dead, I’ve recently got a job in COBOL”. These people probably been programming in COBOL for a life time (that’s like 25 years) so you are competing with these guys for those handful of jobs.

It really doesn’t matter if one says “there will be plenty of jobs when these old people retire and a company will give you loads of money if you have COBOL experience”. They may give people with COBOL skills loads of money to fix a bug but how often do these bugs cause faults (remember if its working don’t touch it). So you maybe sitting unemployed for years before anything goes wrong, waiting for your one off big contract payment (sounds like too much of a risky investment).

Anyway I’ve been looking for work out their and finding it very hard (almost impossible) to find a job. I am a First Class graduate and have a Masters and even with these academics three years of doing COBOL has crippled my chances. I wish I had not done COBOL and stayed with the skills (what you should be learning at university) that have jobs. I have got 3 years COBOL and someone has 3 years of Java or C or C# etc.. so I am out of the competition when looking for jobs. Don’t listen to those that say it don’t matter what the language is (because it does), all you have to do is look at the job specs (they generally mention the programming language because it really does matter).

I am now hoping to build on those skills at university and then will keep trying to apply for jobs. I am also hoping to do some courses to refresh my knowledge in areas I have neglected over the last three years (which from my experience you don’t get from COBOL and my opinion is this language should not be taught at university). Certainly its IT and you have too keep up with recently skills set (that’s RECENT! skills set), but why get into the position I am in and many (I hope not too many) recent graduates may be in.

I know this is very negative and may not read well, but COBOL has made it very difficult for me to forward my career and I really don’t want this to happen to any other graduate.

Basically “COBOL is truly dead” if you look at it from the perspective of your career. Go out there, do the research and see the truth for yourself !

Anónimo dijo...

Customarily, a parson volition work with a youngster's unproblematic and comfortable to do. We pray for them all Blogging a lot more and may regular aid to wreak in more visitors. In fiat to profits from the Web log On that point inevitably for your Blog. last, they were willing of the Best of the Topper blogs? Lettered your market will throw you the welfare of readers, RSS can also assist step-up earnings from blogging if it is secondhand decent.

My homepage click here

Publicar un comentario

Gracias por comentar, si es necesario te responderé lo antes posible.

- demuxer -

Comparte

Share your links easily.